Miyagawacho (lit. “The town of shrine river”) is located close to the kabuki Minamiza theatre and the Kamo river. The district’s name originates from a custom of the Gion Festival - sacred palanquins of Yasaka Shrine used to be washed in the Kamo river around Miyagawacho. The area is strictly associated with the Minamiza theatre and, therefore, it has a strong connection with kabuki. Miyagawacho was established in 1751 and it was a meeting place for the local entertainers and artists. Even nowadays, some kabuki actors share the same names as the teahouses in Miyagawacho. Geiko and maiko of Miyagawacho study the Wakayagi school of dance (Umemoto school in the past) and exhibit Kyo Odori every April and Mizuekai every October. There are 33 teahouses still operating in the area.